One of a Kind Project

Wednesday, July 21

Otak-Otak for Dummies

Growing up, I simply love when my mum's homecooked Otak-otak. Then, the "supply" stopped because it became all too convenient to eat it in the restaurant.

I have be toying with the idea of making it for a long, long time. But, I was often intimidated by the ingredients.

What is galangal? candlenut? etc...

Then, I found this simple recipe....for dummies like me!

No pounding of spices, no squeezing of milk from coconut...excellent!

2 cups minced white fish meat (kurau)
1 packet of coconut cream (200ml)
1 tbs bottled sambal chilli paste
1 tbs coriander powder
1 tsp tumeric powder
4 large eggs
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
White peeper to taste

Daun limau purut (kaffir lime leaves)
Daun kadok
Banana leaf

Place fish meat into bowl.
Add coconut cream, sambal, tumeric and coriander powder.
Beat eggs separately and pour into bowl.
Add sugar, salt and pepper.

Line dish with banana leaves. Then, with daun kadok.
Slice finely the lime leaves and some daun kadok.
Mix sliced leaves into mixture.

Pour mixture into dish.
Place dish into baking dish, filled with water.
Bake at 180c till golden brown.





Mum said to add a bit of rice flour to help set the mixture.
I love a lot of lime leaves and daun kadok in my Otak-Otak. So, I am generous in my dish.

Go to Beeworks Blog

4 Comments:

  • Ah, I remember this dish. You told me before that you like it a lot and we ordered it once in the restaurant at KLCC, right? - Ravi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

  • Yes, it's the same thing. You remembered! Some restaurants are serve good ones, most are disappointing. Don't understand why it's expensive for such small portions. That's why, it's better to make it yourself.

    By Blogger beeworks, at 8:11 PM  

  • Ravi,
    If you like the 'otak-otak', you should go to Kemaman, Terengganu to have them fresh and nice... *yummy!* I'm salivating now...

    By Blogger kijal, at 9:55 PM  

  • ya!restoran otak otak do not taste like homemade otak otak

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home